Alfredo earned his LL.M. from Yale University, USA, and his LL.B. from Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP). He was awarded an honoris causa doctorate from Universidad Continental. His experience spans competition law, economic regulation, consumer protection, property, tort liability, contracts, international trade as well as arbitration, with a focus on construction, insurance, energy, telecommunications, corporate and other industries. He is fluent in English.
Founding partner of Bullard Falla Ezcurra+ (2000). Previously, Alfredo held several positions at INDECOPI, the Peruvian competition authority, such as President of the Court for the Defense of Competition and Intellectual Property, member of the Defense Court Chamber, senior advisor, member of the Advisory Council representing the Ministry of Justice and alternate member of the Consumer Protection Commission.
His arbitration-related activities include serving as President of the Technical Commission of the Ministry of Justice that drafted the current Peruvian Arbitration Act, Legislative Decree No. 1071 (2008). As a commercial and investment disputes arbitrator, Alfredo has acted as both co-arbitrator and president of the court in 300 cases administered by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the Inter-American Commission on Commercial Arbitration (IACA), the Panama Conciliation and Arbitration Center (Cecap), the National and International Arbitration Center of the Lima Chamber of Commerce (CCL), the Arbitration Center of the American Chamber of Commerce (Amcham), and the Arbitration Center of the PUCP, among others.
Alfredo is a member of the Academic Council of the Master’s Degree in European Union Law (Master’s Program of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain). He has delivered courses on Competition Law, Civil Law, Economic Analysis of Law and Arbitration at both PUCP and Universidad del Pacífico. He also delivered the Private Law and Economic Analysis of Law courses in the Master of Business Law and Master of Regulation programs of Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas.
He was a visiting professor at Escuela Superior de Economía y Negocios in El Salvador, as well as in the Master of Laws Program at Universidad Torcuato di Tella in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and in the Economic Analysis of Law course at Universidad de Puerto Rico.
In addition, Alfredo was a speaker at the Andean Community/BID-INTAL Internship Programs (Training Program for Andean Community professionals).
Chambers & Partners
- “Most in demand Arbitrators” in the area of Dispute Resolution 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.
- “Star Individual” in the fields of Latin-American Arbitration from 2008 to 2013 and in 2022.
- Ranked as a leader in the areas of Dispute Resolution, Public Law and Competition, and Antitrust (Band 1).
- Alfredo has been defined as “a star and a national and international renowned figure”. – 2020 and 2021.
Who’s Who Legal
- 2021 Thought Leaders – Arbitration. Global Leader – Recommended, nominated by clients and colleagues as 1 of the 2 only lawyers in the country, 2022 Latin America Leading Individuals.
- Highly Recommended as “an amazing arbitrator and counsel with unparalleled knowledge of large construction disputes”.
- Leading Arbitrators 2022.
- Leading Lawyer in the category of Arbitration in 2021 and 2022.
- Excellent Lawyer in Dispute resolution in construction, in the 2021 and 2022 Rankings.
- Excellent Lawyer in the category of Legal Opinions in 2022.
- Leading Lawyer in the category of Competition/Antitrust & Investigations in 2021.
- Leading Individual in the category of Dispute Resolution in 2021.
- Robert Cooter Award, granted by the Latin American and Iberian Law and Economics Association (ALACDE) for his recognition in the service of the academic community.
- “Peru Arbitration Lawyer of the Year” in the 2021 Latin American Awards.
- Recognized in the categories of Arbitration and Mediation, and Administrative and Public Law in 2022 Best Lawyers.
Alfredo is a columnist for El Comercio and Perú21 newspapers.
His numerous publications include the following books:
- Alfredo Bullard. Políticamente incorrecto. Lima, Perú: Grupo Editorial Mesa Redonda, (2014).
- Editor. Destrezas legales en el litigio arbitral. Lima Perú: Palestra Editores, (2018).
- Coordinator. Análisis psicológico del derecho. Lima, Perú: Themis Editorial Jurídica, (2018).
- Alfredo Bullard. Un derecho de ciencia ficción. De la distopía socialista a la utopía capitalista. En El Derecho va al Cine: Intersecciones entre la visión artística y la visión jurídica de los problemas sociales. Editora: Cecilia O’Neill de la Fuente – 1ª. Edición. Lima, Perú: Universidad del Pacífico, (2013).